Hofmissions Foundation is a youth-led missions non-governmental organization which was established in 2010 to help facilitate human and community development.
The missions department of the organization seeks to facilitate human and community development. It helps solve if not eradicate the challenging situations and problems rural communities and their inhabitants are faced with.
Hofmissions Foundation identified some communities in Gushegu and Cheriponi district of the Northern Region of Ghana with a real challenging situation that needs the world’s attention.
Water, they say, is life, however the river bodies that serve as sources of drinking water to these communities leave much to be desired.
As a Natural Resource Manager and Agricultural Scientist, the human and animal activities on the watershed that brings about the depletion of these water bodies, the detrimental effect of their activities on man, animals and crops they irrigate the water with and the destruction of the natural resources are of much interest.
This pressing concern made me undertake some activities to help solve the problem of natural resource destruction and the danger threat posed to man in the usage of the water body (Untreated water). Among the activities undertaken to resolve a community are:
- Consultation with the decision and policy makers of the community comprising of the chief, assembly man and the district committee chairman to seek their concern about the persisting challenge and effort made to avert them.
- Educating the community on the possible danger threat of taking untreated water, the detrimental effect of their activities that is undertaken at the watershed on man, animals and the crops with which they irrigate their water with. The need to thirst for potable drinking water and which is the reason for our coming.
- Outsourcing for funds to begin a borehole project to provide them with a potable drinking water.
- Educating and training on the usage of the borehole and the need to preserve the natural resource.
- Handing over of the project to the community.
After the implementation of the project, our major goal was to have a sustainable healthy community with a positive attitude towards the protection and maintenance of the natural resources for a long term benefit to the community. This success storey has led to the identification, education, training and funding of other communities that need our assistance to save the natural resources and the watershed from destruction.
Text, photo and video are submitted by Alfred Korankye (Ghana) – korankye87(at)yahoo.co.uk
The content, structure and grammar is at the discretion of the author only.
This post is published as an application by the author, to speak as a youth representative at the World Forestry Congress. Have a look at the other entries too!
As a reader, you can support this speaker’s entry:
- Leave a comment on this project in the field at the bottom of this page
- Support the post by clicking the “Like” button below
- Spread this post via your social media channels, using the two hashtags: #Forests2015 #Youth
The first tier selection of speakers will be based on the number of comments, likes and views each entry gets.